Monday, August 18, 2008

Monday in Three Acts

The Unexpected Song (and Dance)
I arrived to work this morning to find I didn't have to. Work, I mean. So I went on a happy spree at Target and Publix. It was fun. 

Problem: With Publix yogurt, one of my (many) obsessions. Caramel, cappuccino, cherry vanilla, and all with a handy plastic lid, so if you don't eat it all in one sitting you can finish it later. 
But now. Oh yes, now they package it in 6 oz. cartons with NO nifty lid. This means that when I take advantage of the 10/$5.50 special, I get 20 oz. less of yogurt than before. 
I'm hurt and angry. I want my 2 and a half cartons of yogurt back, Publix. With the lids. 


Requiem for Departed Denim
This is the tragi-comic episode of the day. We take Moseby to his first obedience class. He is happy. We are happy. We walk into PetSmart. He gets a little more excited. We walk into the training room full of other dogs. His excitement begins to exceed the limits of my arm strength and his own bladder control. Long story short: Happy dog ruins favorite jeans. 
Yes, there was a Kohl's next door. Yes, I'd been meaning to get a new pair anyway, since these were four years old and had a rip in the left knee. But I grieved as I walked around feeling each stiff, uncomfortable kink of the new pair. I grieve still. The jeans that survived the last two years of high school, rain storms, and a summer spent with 8 year olds wielding paint brushes, finally meet an ignominious end at the paws of the Sweet Dog. 

The Splash of Beauty
Setting: Rambling with Mom and Sweet Dog outside. I was looking at the tall grass on the side of the road, when I saw what I thought was a small deer figurine.
"Is that a -," I started to say. 

Then time stopped (I'm convinced). A tiny, foot-high fawn raised itself from the grass and looked at us - without fear or anxiety or anything but a sort of gentle curiosity.  And we stared back, startled into silence by this small, exquisite creature. 

When time started again, my first thought was: Get crazy dog away from pretty deer. After that the thoughts whirled together in a mix of: Camera, Call vet, Dad canwekeepthedeer? When we returned (sans dog, plus camera) it was gone (with its mommy, we hope).

And though I'm sad about the lack of photograph, it's the scene itself that's so lovely - the beautiful little face, the solemn grace as it stood up in the grass. A moment of wonder. 


3 comments:

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

Praise God for little wonders that redeem otherwise forgettable days.

Kait said...

Lovely! I melt when I see photos of little fawns. Remember the ones of Audrey holding her pet fawn? (stills from a lesser-known movie.)

I can't wait to meet Sweet Dog! ^.^ Makes me excited for your growing family - Congrats!