Wednesday, March 31, 2010

where I wanted to go

It just took me over an hour to write the last 295 words of my thesis essay. Some of the more painful writing I have ripped from my soul. But it is finally wrung out of me and it's not getting another word.

This morning I went with former roomie to the airport before she left for real-life important interviews. I am so glad I got to hug her.

I am going home tomorrow. I will see sweet Mo and he will body slam me and slobber on my face and get mud on my jeans and I will laugh and baby-talk him.

I also get to sit in the kitchen with my Mom and just talk to her. I want to sit at the counter and listen to stories and look at recipes and bask in being her daughter. I want to be there when my dad walks in from work, and listen to him walk around the house and sing hymns and songs from old Westerns.

Obsession with Drew/Ellie Holcomb continues. Their music is beautiful and real and warm and aching and exquisitely tender. And they write songs with words like this.

Oh magnolia
won't you stay with me
won't you wake up and see
that I'm waiting

Oh magnolia
won't you walk with me
won't you let me be
your sweet companion

you've been working til your hands they bleed
and your eyes can't see the dress you're wearing

you've been hopingthat you could make it right
but the more you try, the more you're failing

You've been walking through this world alone,
no place to call your home, except your heartache
You've been trying to make it all work out,
when the sun goes down your soul is burdened

won't you please come home
you don't have to walk alone
won't you rest your head on my shoulder

No comments: