Saturday, May 23, 2009

Of smoothies and Scotland

Cold food. Like cold fusion. Only not as elusive. Or important. But much more pleasurable. 

I've been a fan lately. Last night for supper, I made a blueberry/yogurt/soymilk smoothie and ate it from a bowl (more fun that way), with some vanilla Kashi cereal for interest. And then I gorged myself on chilled green grapes. Ahhh. I love refrigeration. 

***
Today, I shopped. With my mother. Who, Lord love her, can shop me under the table. I was the enthusiastic one yesterday: "Mom, I'm desperate! I need clothes!" And she just sort of vaguely acquiesced. But today, I was ready to drop by 2 and she was still diving into clothing racks and pulling me into dressing rooms for opinions. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but goodness, I'm 21 to her 50-something - I'm supposed to have the surplus energy. 
Although I found out the other day that I have inherited her boundless nature to some degree. Right after that post bemoaning my Sad Little Raincloud personality, I hear from a former coworker:
 "I met your mother the other day, and was glad to see the resemblance" he typed. "You are both joyful." 

How lovely. Thank you, Mom. 

***
And tonight we watched Slumdog Millionare. Unbearable and beautiful and heartwrenching and a really, really, really good movie. Yes, I know I am one of the last people in the States to see it, but I never go to movies, and then when it came to the dollar theatre I found out Jim hadn't seen it yet either, and so I had to wait until school was out so we could watch it together. And good thing too, because my parents had already seen it so they could tell me to leave during the part when - oh wait. I nearly did it, but I didn't. You see that? I caught myself before I gave away a crucial part of the plot! I am making progress, oh yes. 

Now off to read the newest installment of Alexander McCall Smith's newest Scottish book, The Comfort of a Muddy Saturday. And while this is not his strongest, he's still worth it.

"Why, Isabel wondered, did we need loss and parting to remind us of how much friendship, and indeed love, meant to us? Yes we did."

No comments: