Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lecture day; or, not that kind of doctor

So. I taught my first class today. I had two fears going in:
1) that I would talk for five minutes and be done
2) that I would be unbearably boring

The first, at least, was foundless. We had a good forty minute class discussion/lecture. And I didn't have to worry about the second because the people in that class are so smart and with it, they wouldn't stop spouting great stuff.

This teaching thing?

I think I like it.

Ok. I know I like it.

Which is a huge relief. Because if I didn't like it, or if I didn't do an acceptable job, then my plans for next year were going to disappear with a tiny poof and some pink smoke, and I was going to start thinking about being a librarian in Kansas.

Yes, teaching is fun. So . . . I think I'm gonna be a professor. If I can do ok on the GRE (three weeks) and get into a decent grad school. This brings up questions. Like, I still want babies. And if I have babies, I want them to stay with me, not in a germy daycare. Of course, teaching is a lot more flexible than, say, working for corporate America. Like my chemistry teacher. She has a doctorate from Rice and five kids. It can be done. And this is quite a ways in the future and a man has to show up first anyway and I'm not seeing anything happening on that front anytime soon so why don't I just concentrate on taking this dingdang test and writing my "Why You Should Let Me in to Your School" essay?

Yes, let's do that.

***
As for the rain, I've done enough complaining. How 'bout the lovely and fascinating bright red mushrooms that the monsoon has brought up from the earth? They look like the pretty domed mushrooms in those books about elves and fairies.

Fall break this weekend. Yes, it is too soon. Samford's schedule mystifies me. Usually this is the weekend that everyone stays at school and studies so that they won't have to work during fall break. Not this year. But we are going to Rugby which will be wonderful rain, shine, or snow, and I am planning to sleep and read and sleep some more. I nearly fell asleep while I was walking today, yes, actually moving. I closed my eyes and thought how wonderful it felt and then sort of jerked back to the fact that I was still trudging along the sidewalk. Sigh.

***
And after fall break: Depression-Era Party!!! Title: 'Scuse Me for Livin'. Bring your guitar and overalls. Soup and bread lines provided. Friday, Oct. 2. Co-hostess: Carrie. Location: Carrie's house. If you're reading this blog you're invited (anonymous creepers excluded), so contact me for details!

We're having banana pudding and checkers. Y'all come.

1 comment:

Kait said...

I am thrilled to hear about your teaching experience!!! So happy!!! I know that is an incredible confirmation for you. That GRE will not know what is coming. :)

I wish you to have a marvelous time at your depression-era party!