Thursday, December 24, 2009

Here is all a-right

Current position: Great room, fire blazing beside the lovely tree. Sharing the couch and a cosy blanket with Mom, and taking a short break from knitting my third scarf since Monday.

Verdict: Nearly idyllic.

(The "nearly" is for the leaks I just discovered in two windows. The tree happens to be stationed close to one of the leaky spots, so we had to turn the lights off. Still pretty, though. Now, back to our regularly scheduled program.)

***
We had our big family Christmas yesterday, in Marietta. Jim and I went to the favorite cousins' on Tuesday, though, and much hilarity ensued. Ty and Austin make me laugh until I ache. And Brannon is just a pure delight ("Anna, I think you should be Mrs. Claus for Christmas." Thanks?) I just love being at the Georgia family's place, period. Aunt Laura entertains with easy grace, always has a funny story, and has impeccable booksense. Their house is full of laughter and running and collapsing on the couch for naps.

And when you wake up at 2 am, there is most likely a fuzzy cat kneading your feet and purring. Happy sigh.

***
So yes, after all the excitement, a quiet Christmas Eve is not so unwelcome. Jim and I are flying to New Mexico on Saturday (we are going to stay with Mama Pat and Bob, and ski, and hug Roberta and all the other sweet family), so today was spent rounding up the last minute ski necessities (I have developed a sudden addiction to knit caps. Straight hair does this to a girl. Curly hair hates hats. Did I mention I have straight hair now? I digress). So the four of us ate lasagna and tiramisu while the storm howled, considered watching The Godfather (which idea was nixed by the female half of the family as too violent for Christmas Eve) and watched Waking Ned Devine instead (Irish music/scenery/accents = love).

Dad just joined us on the couch (and informed me that Alan Ladd was 5"6 . . .), and family and crackly fire and peace - Merry Christmas, dear people.


The Christ-child lay on Mary's heart,
his hair was like a fire -
oh weary, weary is the world
but here the world's desire

-G. K. Chesterton

2 comments:

Laura said...

I love you, dear Anna. Your writing always nourishes my spirit, no matter the topic. And I LOVE that y'all decided to watch Waking Ned Devine.

Tell all the Bedsole family Merry Christmas.

Unknown said...

Oh Roomie (for Roomie you will always be), I hadn't hit me how much I miss you until I started reading all of your blogs (I had some catching up to do). As I read them it feels like old times in our dorm room just listening to you talk about your day. Those were some of the most precious times in my life. Thank you for those. I am determined that we will have more of them this semester, busyness or not.

Have a wonderful time in New Mexico. Give me a call when you get back. We must have our Mountain Brook exploration day!