Tuesday, September 28, 2010

one single camera


Today has been fall. Yesterday was, too. And Sunday was almost there. We sat in an old crumbly cemetery that afternoon and read headstones with names "Temperance" engraved on them, and the afternoon light was lovely in the trees and it smelled like October.

As if that wasn't enough, I discovered that the dark and slightly creepy Kroger has a kid's cookie club. And that changed my opinion of them right then and there, as I inhaled a double chocolate cookie in the dairy aisle. Tuesday = success.

*****

And now I have a cast. On my arm. It is brightneonhotglaring pink and reaches past my elbow, halfway to my shoulder. We have had a tumultuous relationship. It went like this.

The first day was a mix of fascination and wonderings. This is strange. I have a cast. Can I drive? Oooh, people can write on it. How will I wash my hair?

Then, that night, I woke up. Not once, but several times. As I remember, there were tears and helpless flailings of the casted arm against a pillow. Everything was sad and miserable. The next few days were continuations of this theme. I cycled from frustrated discomfort ("dangit, this is awkward") to claustrophobic rage (GET IT OFF MY ARM GET IT OFF GETITOFFFFF) to fetal position whimpers (help,please,mama,help).

But now, though it is an annoyance and have the feeling that my elbow will be really sore in a week or so, I have grown accustomed to it. Hours pass and I forget that I have a Neon Barbie Robot arm. Sometimes it feels almost comfortable, familiar. And then I freak out. What is this, Stockholm Syndrome?

*****
This weekend was good and needed. Michael came to visit, and we ate Chinese food and walked through downtown (which took 10 minutes) and watched movies and most of all it was good to see him, his real live self, not the skype-pixelated version. Deborah and Evan also came and spent Saturday night, and introduced us to a place with good scones and coffee. They are fun and delightful, and we had fun and delightful conversation.

And now I just want to run off and live in the mountains by a lake, with all my friends and lots of s'mores supplies and my dog. Who's with me?

2 comments:

Erin said...

i am SO there!

thetalkingmouse said...

So...was it Miguel or the Double Chocolate Cookie that did your arm in?

Let me know if you've ever in the 'Ham, and I'll stamp a sheep on it..!