Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Sacred Harp and Hawthorne

I had Stumptown coffee this morning in my pretty new portable mug. 

Ahhhh. Life. 

***
So I'm back at school, and ridiculously happy to be here. I love my classes already. Yes I do. 

SPAN 317 Latin American History: with Profesora Coleman, the sweet grandmotherly professor I had for Spanish 203. She makes you dance and sing rap songs to remember the preterite. I love her class. 

ENGL 324 American Renaissance: Sooo . . . I'm honestly not that big on American literature. No I'm not! At least - not of the 19th century. Recent American lit., yes. Thoreau? No. Why am I taking this class, then? Only because it is taught by the a-ma-zing Dr. Rosemary Fisk, my favorite professor, the one where you basically want to copy everything they do, and have not been under her wonderful tutelage since fall semester 2006. I have confidence in Dr. Fisk. If anyone can make me appreciate Hawthorne and slave narratives, she can. 

ENGL BCF Internship: So, I get to write articles for Birmingham Christian Family magazine this semester (if you live in the B'ham area, you've probably seen it laying around in doctors' offices and random churches). I get to do scary things like interview people at the Lovelady Center, a transitional shelter for women, only then it is really interesting and I fall in love with what they are doing helping families get their lives back together, and I want to write a brilliant and passionate article that will garner oodles of much-needed money for this wonderful organization. Whew! Yes, the internship is on my own time. Which means that right now, I don't have any Tuesday or Thursday classes. Unless someone drops out of yoga. 

HIST 434: Folklore: I'm battling the urge to write this paragraph in all caps, because I'm so EXCITEDTHRILLEDREALLYREALLYHAPPY about this class. Ahem. 
Point A: It is taught by Dr. Brown, history professor from last semester that made me see the World in new ways. He even made wars interesting. 
Point B: I have been hungering for the opportunity to slip into this class since last semester, when I found out it involves fishing from canoes and fa-so-la singin'. I also found out it was closed
Point C: On Friday I found out the History department let him open another section. I sort of shrieked at poor Claire, who delivered the happy news, and ignored her in a feverish daze while I signed up. 
Point D: We get to do an oral history project with an older relative, analyze folk tales, memorize folk ballads, and yes, weave (read: attempt) a traditional Cherokee reed basket. As we went over the syllabus, my grin just kept getting bigger and bigger and finally split into an outright smile when I found out that we do a weekend canoe trip ending in an all day Sacred Harp singin' followed by dinner on the grounds. Just let me die of happiness. And yes, I know it sounds like a hippie class. I'm So. Excited. Knitting my own underwear and canning tomatoes comes next. 

1 comment:

elizabethchanning said...

Last year, there was a guy in my CA class who did a speech on Sacred Harp. I'd never heard of it before. One day, last summer I guess, I was in the car with my family, and we drove past this church at a random time on like a Friday night, and there were these people sitting in a big group. And my parents kept trying to figure out waht they were doing. And I thought of Sacred Harp! But I couldn't think of what it was called. The closest thing I could come up with was Square Singing. I'm like, "you know, they like sing a square!" And my parents were like, "What in the world is she talking about??" haha! That sounds like it'll be a lot of fun to go to!