Saturday, November 29, 2008

Blueberries with Heathcliff

Lemon Cornmeal Cookies = Good

Lemon Cornmeal Cookie Dough = Better

Leftover Drippings of Lemon Cornmeal Dough with Frozen Blueberries = *blissful sigh* i.e., The Best Lunch Ever, i.e., Nobody's Here to Make Me Eat Real Food.

The antioxidants balance out the sugar, right? Oh, they'd just better. That's all I have to say.

***
My family is gone to the glorious (and wet) fields of Tuscaloosa. A week ago, I wanted to go too. I wanted to go when I imagined it as 55 degrees and sunny. Then yesterday came with nasty weather and the realization I had done nothing on my history presentation. So I had to settle for my oversize Alabama shirt ("est. 1831"), the T.V. version, and a day of solitude. Note: I can hear some of you scoffers now. "She won't REALLY turn on the television for the game." Oh yes I will. Mainly because I have been left instructions to tape this historic game. But I will
make myself sit down and watch some of it and I will keep it on the entire time. So there, cynics.

Family gone means my eating habits get . . . strange. Yes, that is a good word. It goes something like this:

Work on google earth presentation. Reach dead end. Wander to kitchen. Eat a bite of oatmeal-cherry cookie. Wander back to computer. Stare blankly at screen. Internal anguished scream. Add a map overlay. Wander to kitchen . . .

And so on, until I decided I could not. handle. google. earth. any. more. Emphatic period. So I made the Lemon Cornmeal Cookies to go along with the white elephant gift for the RUF Christmas party (I am very excited about my gift. Not to mention the fact that I found it for two dollars. Not to mention the fact that I got to write "FRAGILE" on it after I wrapped it up in brown paper. And no, it isn't a leg lamp. Oh. Sidetracked. Back to cookies). And when I was beaming at the little darlings through the oven window, the aforementioned Frozen Blueberries with Batter Remnants idea came and oh my heavens was it good. Then I had to take the cookies out and wrap them up and of course two got devoured along with countless broken pieces. So I made myself eat half a carton of yogurt for protein. And now the carrot bag is sitting on the counter to defer any worse sugar-carb binges. And hot lemon tea. Lemon tea is verrryyyy good. So are lemon cookies. UMM, subject change. I have to have just . . . one . . . NO.

***
School Update!!!!
Poetry Paper = Nine full pages, nine point five when I write the conclusion, the only thing left. Happy. I think I like this paper. Especially the part when I compare reading a Robert Penn Warren poem to a hobo jumping on a train.

Webfolio: I have my articles. I'm ready for Monday!

Brit. Lit.: Yeats and Auden wait to be printed out and stapled and turned in with a fatalistic sigh on Monday.

History: Google Earth Presentation. Shudder. Protestant mission schools of 19th century Syria are mildly interesting (on a good day). But there is nothing really fascinating to show geographically. "Yep, here's where they traded a donkey for a plot of land, but the Maronite sect burned down that school in 1843, and here's where they learned about blacksmithing . . ."
I am dangerously unmotivated about this presentation. Um. Help?

Legal Spanish: I just remembered I have a test on Thursday . . . yep. Better get on that.

***
But now the Sweet Dog and I will venture outside to be Emily Bronte and her loyal canine companion, wandering the moors in the rain and mist. Emily Bronte has to wander for a long time today. She has a weakness for Lemon Cookies.

No comments: