Sunday, December 7, 2008

Diner coffee and Christmas parties

The law library. Looking out the floor-length window to Reid Chapel with the crazy bells pealing against the walls.

I like the law library. I just discovered this study spot. It is pretty and not so crowded and most of all different. Changing atmospheres is important. Very important. Otherwise I go ab.so.lute.ly mad.

And it is extra appropriate that I am in the law library to translate an affidavit for my Legal Spanish class. Curses on you affidavit. Even though I would rather translate than study for a comprehensive final.

And be-sides, I am wearing my red and black print '40s style dress that I've had since I was fifteen. With a red sweater, and red sunglasses and purse and my hair is straight after a badly needed haircut (I like straight hair. Do you know what bliss it is to wake up and not have to DO anything to your mass of locks? I got ready this morning in eight minutes. Thanks to straight hair and mineral makeup and deciding what to wear the night before). I feel like an upperclassman, properly studious and put-together and on top of things.

This means I will trip and rip a hole in my stockings on the way back to the dorm, and fail all my finals. There's a certain kind of confidence that breeds catastrophe.

***
Yesterday/last night, I had a Christmas party at the house. Erin, Michael and Joanna accompanied me out to the wilds of Cook Springs in the morning, and we spent a semi-studious day at the house. Then seven more good friends showed up in the evening, and we ate pasta and laughed a lot and made merry well into the night. Photos to come.

I like red? I throw parties? I love being surrounded by people and throwing open the doors to guests?

Dear Lord. I'm becoming my mother.

***
In other news, I have four finals. Only three require studying. Two are over tomorrow. The last is on Thursday. Which basically means I get to party on Tuesday and Wednesday. I mean, STUDY. That's right, I will diligently STUDY allll those two days and not even think about lunching with friends and arranging midnight IHOP runs. Nope. Not me.

Besides, I'm a Waffle House devotee.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You could do a lot worse than becoming your Mother. She'll love that !

love you both.

Dad

Laura said...

Am a little behind on my blog-reading -- just caught up on yours. Love the new look, was highly entertained by your recent posts (as always), and am grateful for hearing the voice of Anna in my head.

Am praying for your exams.