Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Longer than the road

Today, I had no exams. Tomorrow, I write my little heart out in (ahem) "The West in Global Perspective." I poured my morning into Germany from its unification to 1945, and traditional Indonesian art forms like wayang kulit, a theatre of shadow puppets. 

It is actually sort of . . . fun. 

***
In other news, today = productive. 
For one: got o.ffi.ciall.y signed up for that internship. Whew. 
For two: got my Poetry class stuff back. Not only did the professor like the essay I poured my life blood into (always affirming), she asked me to contact her about a position as a student research assistant this summer. A paid position. A position where I get paid to learn things and work with English professors. Um, heck yes. 
For three: Lunched at the Golden Temple with Deb and Joanna, where we ate curry burritos and tomato soup and mocked all the earth mother clothes and incense. 

***
And tomorrow I leave, which is sweet and bitter. I want to go home; I just want all my friends to come with me. Thank goodness Valerie and Joanna are, at least for the first two nights. And after all, Jan term does hold a flight to Texas and a road trip to St. Louis. See? I won't be completely people-deprived. 

For now, I'll just be curmudgeonly about the prospect of dragging everything I will need for seven weeks out to my car. In the rain. Blech. This is where a boy would come in handy -automatic luggage carrier. Is it unethical to date just to have built-in slave labor? 

***
In other other news, the Red Mountain Christmas album is really (really) good. Five bucks. Get 'em while they're hot. 

The Christ child lay on Mary's heart,
His hair was like a fire.
O weary, weary is the world,
But here the world's desire. 
-G.K. Chesterton

2 comments:

Kait said...

Gentlemanly boyfriend = slave-labor!!!! I feel no shame. ^_^

You know how much it would thrill my heart to have you visit??? Is it possible for you to come up next Thursday night for my Christmas party, and stay with me? Could you convince a friend to come along as well? Do try!!!!!!

Rachel said...

the only times i pray for a boyfriend are when i have car trouble or have to move.