Saturday, October 25, 2008

Do you ever find a song you want to live in?

They would drive all night with the windows down
in his ancient El Camino
He's got his arm around her and they're singing along
with the country songs on satellite radio -
and it feels all right. 
-The Spares, "Chapel of the Winding Road"

Yes. I could live in that stanza and be happy. Now I will proceed to listen to this song several hundred times a day for the next two weeks or so. I will attach my mind to a certain four lines or so and sing them constantly (constantly). In the shower at 6:30. At the desk while Valerie is studying. In my head when I should be paying attention to Dr. Brown and Japanese nationalism. Under my breath walking to British Lit. before breakfast. In the car driving to Books-a-Million. Every-where. 
***
So for some reason last night was very good. Nothing special, just chicken pot pie and Halloween cupcakes and friends. Not many especially quotable moments, or brilliant comments, just - ah, people. I like basking in friends. 

I also like autumn perfection days like today, when everything is deep and clear and brilliant. And spur-of-the-moment supper with Jim at 5 Points with the odd flute player man in the next booth talking about five to the zero power and cackling to himself. And pancake parties. And - sleep.
***
They're telling stories when the sun comes up
Driving through the mountains . . .
and it feels good to find someone who can see you. 


No comments: