Monday, October 27, 2008

You're sick, Jessie - sick, sick, sick

As you might have gathered from the title, faithful reader, I am sick. 

Note: I do not get sick.  June of 2006 was the last time I was really down, when I babysat my favorite children ever (I love you Henry and Katherine!) and they gave me some horrible nastiness, the kind that strikes at 1 am (I still love you Henry and Katherine). Ever since then, however, I have been following the example of all the hardy women in my family and building up a steely immune system that will live up to the family reputation.  In that whole two and half year time frame, I have succumbed only once to anything resembling illness. 

[Alert: Massive pity party to follow. Those with whining allergies advised to avoid.]

 All that to say, I do not get sick. Until last night.  When I woke up with stomach nastiness and yes, throwing up (sorry, gentle readers) and general misery. NASTY. 
So, that meant no classes today. Or library work. Or even school work. I croak bitterly when I remember my fond delusion of the morning, imagining myself sitting up in bed later on with books spread around, getting work done. Um, no. On my personal gauge of physical misery, these two facts in themselves are telling:
1. I did not feel like reading. Or writing. Even blogging. Gasp. Usually I have to restrain myself from dumping out my neurotic ramblings every day. The thought of writing a post crossed my mind around 2:30, and I groaned and fell into bed. 
2. The peanut butter on peanut butter crackers held no appeal for me. I scraped it off. O.F.F. And ate just the crackers. When even peanut butter fails me, the world is upside down. 

Yes, I tried to go to Student Health Services (insert bitter laughter). A friend even gave me a ride down. And the nurse and doctor were out (surprise), and my original opinion of Student Health was restored. Then I realized I was feeling rather worse and decided to drag back up to the room, praying all the way, "Please, Lord, just don't let me throw up right here in public." And He was merciful.

Now I am sad because I have to miss RUF. And seeing people. People. I want people. I don't want to talk to them, I just want to lie on a couch while they talk around me. I want the presence of other human beings, gosh darn it. And I feel like Typhoid Mary in enforced quarantine. 

In other news, our window is open and I slept for three hours to Kate Rusby music and October is wonderful even with stomach flu. And I happen to live with a nursing major who is taking excellent care of me and strawberry gatorade is really, really good, in fact I might live on it for the rest of my life. That and peanut butter-less crackers. 

I will go off to some far country
Where I'll know no one and no one knows me
It's there I will wonder in my long silent rest,
For it's you, lovely Willie, you're the boy I love best
-Kate Rusby, "Playing of Ball"

2 comments:

Kait said...

d'awww dear one! Get well!!!!! Eat your peanut butter crackers whole, and drink lotsa water.

Laura said...

So sorry to hear you were down with the stomach bug (which, by the way, invaded our house for about two weeks). Hope you're feeling completely back to normal now (and enjoying crackers WITH peanut butter).