Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Feed Manna to the Fiddling Birds

Today was . . . well, good. Very good. I've noticed that I tend to fear writing happy things. The doldrum voice is always tolling in the background that it's a momentary high and I'll live to laugh bitterly at my blind happiness. But who's giving in to chronic Eyore syndrome? Not I. I had a good day and I'm thankful for it. 

Mainly because of this: God confronted and comforted me with one of those very simple truths that makes a lot of difference. You see, I worry a lot about falling off the edge of the cliff - namely, leaving God. Yes, I'm committed, but I'm weak - what if it waxes and wanes? (It does.) And I realized you can forever-commit yourself to something or someone without having to have  allll the commit of a lifetime right then and there. God will give new grace each day. Sort of like the manna and the Israelites and . . . wait, didn't I learn this in Sunday School fifteen years ago? Sometimes my life seems like constant re-learning. 

In other news, I got another job. A tutoring job. A tutoring athletes job. I talked to a very nice man in the athletic department who ended up hiring me. He talked to me about making sure they take responsibility, etc., and to tell him if they try to slack on their work or flirt with me. Ha. 

Jim brought home Andrew Bird the Juno soundtrack yesterday and I was so excited I jumped around the kitchen like a little kid. And I went for a walk in the night and the wind stroked my hair and the moon was perfect and golden. 

Song of the Day: Ides of Swing - Andrew Bird
Proclamation: Newest musical obsession has hit. Violins, witty lyrics, songs that sound like they should be played over a gramophone - I'm in official love. I also love Ambivalence Waltz because it sounds like he just took Ashokan Farewell and played around with it. And in Minor Stab he talks about milking goats - that sealed the musical affair for me. 

When your head starts craning back 
And your breath comes short and fast 
The music of the spheres start to bounce and sing 
That's when you know you're swinging
 

2 comments:

Kim said...

YEA! Laura whispered in her blog of YOUR blog and I am happy. I love your writing and am anticipating your future posts.

Don't fall in love with any of your athletes.;)

Steven G. said...

Love your writing. It's the way I want to write.

G