Friday, July 11, 2008

Philosophizing

Song of the day: "Tune Out" - the Format
Reason: I heard this song on a random CD that Jim burned for me and loved it before I knew who or what it was. I think that's the way I tend to fall in love with a band - I'll feel so-so about a new album, and all of the sudden a song will burst out and shoot its cupid arrow into my heart and I'm in love.
Besides, I'm going on a road trip to H'ville this afternoon. It's just appropriate.

***
So, the 4th here was really quiet and boring and it's lame how much I enjoyed it. I celebrated Americana by baking a pie. A strawberry-blackberry pie. A strawberry-blackberry pie with stars on top. Can you tell I am proud of my pie? My only grief is that I can't find my little camera computer cord thing so I can show the world just how beautiful that pie was. You'll have to trust me. Or pray I find the USB cord.

Other than that, my Uncle and Aunt who really aren't came for dinner (they took a picture of the pie too. They liked the pie). I scrapbooked all my fall break photos (finally). And that evening we saw the fireworks from some people at the bottom of the mountain.

***
So I was thinking (dangerous, I know) about cynical, bitter people (don't ask). Lots of people are. Usually because they've been hurt by something, and they decide that life is pain, princess. And my (not so) humble twenty year old wisdom considers this the easy way out. Yes, I know - a little bit - how it is. One is hurting like a wounded animal, and all happy people are idealistic idiots and just they wait until that piano comes crashing down on their heads (we laugh bitterly in our seasoned cynicism).
But the real issue is that after you've been hurt, it's dangerous to hope again. What about disappointment? What if you fall on your face again? What if - (insert catastrophe of choice). And burying oneself in disillusionment is only a means of self-protection against future pain.

All that to say: Bitterness requires compassion. And loving impatience. Towards myself and others. Because hope is not the giddy naivety of lucky innocents. I think it is a gritty choice to put one foot in front of the other, to reach outside of our private world of hurt and love others.
***
"And oh my love you're all I need
backed behind a frequency"

2 comments:

Alan T. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alan T. said...

"a gritty choice" - well said. I don't think there's a better way to describe it.

(ha! my (un)trusty thesaurus lists "spunky" as one of its synonyms...I believe they are confused, once again.)

small question...what do you mean by "loving impatience"...mayhap you can expound...? you don't have to, of course. thanks!

have fun in Huntsville!