Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Maybe baby/ Everything's gonna turn out fine

So, Monday and Tuesday were like a dose of really good medicine (not that nasty cherry cough syrup your mom always made you choke down). Erin and Val and I surprised other Anna at the airport and we spent over 24 hours just talking and laughing and marveling at the sweetness of good friends.  Only now I'm nearly dying of missing them. And bitter that they wouldn't let me ride on the baggage claim train. 

***
When we were out west, I kept a list of recipes I wanted to master when I returned. So far, I've attempted walnut-date scones (the list header). Verdict: A Happy Success. Nutmeg + whole wheat flour = good baking. Remaining on the list: apple and cream cheese stuffed french toast (Jim's request); fried plaintains with black bean dip (most ambitious); and blackberry/strawberry pie (simple goodness). Progress reports to follow.

Other good things include the smell of the library when I walked into work today; reading on a swing in the Homewood park without getting motion sickness; and Kait! is coming Saturday!!!

And this evening I, ahem, "fellowshipped" (i.e. ate and hung out) at the Sterlings. We had monster burgers and good conversation. And Kate kept giving everyone gifts from Susie's herb garden and now my hands smell like rosemary. 

***
Song of the Day: "Please Read the Letter" - Alison Krauss and Robert Plant
Reason: I like this song because it's plaintive and simple and almost raw (and really irritating to family members when you get the chorus stuck in your head and sing "please read the letter that I wrote" fifty times in a row). All the usual - love lost, mourned and left to die, but at least you can sing a really good song about it.

Once I stood beside a well of many words
My house was full of rings and
Charms and pretty birds

3 comments:

Rinny said...

oh, i see... you changed your blog name after the first time i found it. may i ask why? i liked the first name waaay better. humph.

Rinny said...

oh, and i miss you, too. very much.


ooooh, and i want the recipe for those mocha cookie things that were like mexican wedding cookies.


also, today while trying to find some artist on itunes that i saw when wandering through a store in hollywood (whose name i *still* can't remember... i just know i wanted her cd.... humph) i discovered an artist i hadn't heard of before- brooke fraser. i'm listening through some of her stuff and definitely enjoying the message. i do love discovering new music.

Kait said...

You're visiting this weekend! ^.^