Monday, July 28, 2008

Poetry lieth this way - Flee while thou canst

Song of the Day: "Reasons Why" - Nickel Creek

Where am I today, I wish that I knew,
'cause looking around there's no sign of you
I don't remember one jump or one leap;
just quiet steps away from your lead. 

Last summer I thought it would be fun to write a poem after a scene in "It's a Wonderful Life." So in March I finally did. And it was fun. Truth told, I really just want to be Donna Reed and have lots of babies and be (not too) poor. 

“George Lassoes the Moon”

 George: What is it you want, Mary? What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down . . .

Mary: I'll take it.

- It’s a Wonderful Life

 

Your mother called and said you might stop by.

And here we sit –

Me all crinoline and pearls

And fluttered hope,

You stiff against the horsehair couch

And heavy parlor air.

 

You want trunks and trains and travel,

One-way tickets, careless anonymity

of crowds and cities.

 

I want the honeysuckle picket fence,

Small hands and sticky hugs,

Kitchen table conversations

And your goodnight kiss.

 

You want slick and nameless streets,

And I the shabby sidewalks

Of familiar Bedford Falls.

 

O George – bring the laughter

And the three a.m. despair,

Lullabies and scraped-up knees,

Morning coffee and

The years of slow routine. 

Bring the bitter words and

Sweet embraces – (you know it’s a wonderful life).

 

I’ll take it.

 

No comments: